Sunday, February 10, 2013

The balloon party that never happened

So last weekend we set off to the town of Chateau D'Oex to see the International Hot Air Balloon festival. It is supposed to be a huge event and we were excited to see a bunch of hot air balloons in the alps, I mean who wouldn't be. We had planned to go with our friends Tot and Mark to see the Night Glow (check out pictures here) http://www.festivaldeballons.ch/en/festival_en/nightglow, but found out the day before that it had been cancelled due to weather. I checked the site on Saturday morning and saw that although the night glow was cancelled, they were still on track to have the balloons in the air for the day. So Chateau D'Oex is about two hours from us. Our GPS lady took us on a more scenic route through Evian and Thonon.  Once we started getting up in the mountains though, it was snowing heavily. By the time we reached Chateau D'Oex, we found that the balloon festival was cancelled for the day. No hot air balloons can go while it's snowing I guess. But, Tot ended up going the next day when the weather was stunning, and took some great photos. He said that I could steal them and post them here, so show what we should have seen. Gorgeous! Although we have lived here for two plus years, I swear when we see the alps and views like this, it still takes our breath away. Just spectacular. 







1 comment: