Saturday, December 22, 2012

Geocaching!

Our friends Erin and Drake, affectionately known as either "The Birds" or 
Singing Bird

 and 
The Owl 

are into geocaching. We really don't know too much about this sport, other than people hide things, and other people find them. 
Anyway, Jaime got a geocaching tag from Expedia a while back and gave it to the Birds. They were elated and promptly hid it somewhere in Seattle, and asked that it be sent to their friends in Veyrier, Switzerland. Us! This travel tag started it's journey in March 2011 and we were notified by the Birds that it had made it's way to Troinex yesterday, which is about 2 minutes from our house. 
So this morning we set out to find it. We took our GPS and put in the coordinates that the last person had left and set out to find it. The hint that went with it was "magnetic cache, party room". The birds said that this probably meant that it had a magnet in it and that it was attached to something metal and suggested that we look under benches or railings, or anything metal in the vicinity. So we made it to the center of Troinex and started looking. We thought it would be easy to find, and really didn't anticipate spending an hour walking in circles, feeling under every possible bench, railing, metal sign, Christmas tree ornaments on the town's tree, etc. No luck. Lucia was also looking everywhere as well - she was sure that the Birds' dog Huckleberry threw the cache to her in Switzerland and that we needed to find it asap. She was very concerned that another little girl might find it first. So there was a playground within 30 meters of our coordinates that had these play houses for kids. I mean, that's a party room, right? So we searched these


But no luck
(That's me looking mad)

Anyway, just when I was thinking, this geocaching business is pretty hard, I'm cold and on the verge of getting crabby - I heard Jaime yell. Success! 



Notice the sign they are standing under - Salle des Fetes? That literally translates to room celebrations - or, party room. How we walked around that sign for an hour and didn't think about that, I'm not sure.  I mean now that I'm in french 101, I know what the sign means. 
I'm still not professional enough to figure out this cache's log (a list of places that it has been for the last 18 months), but The Birds told us that it has travelled over 7,000 miles and been to who knows how many places, to finally get to us.
Exciting! 
Thank you Birds for sending to us!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is EXCITING! We dropped off this travel tag in Florida almost two years ago. Since then it has been dropped in and picked up from 221 caches to include caches in Mexico, Newfoundland Canada(knocked around there for about a year), Germany and Switzerland. I love it! Love, the birds

    ReplyDelete