Friday, July 13, 2012

Tour de France!

As some of you know I (Sarah) have next to zero interest in sports. Jaime is fond of telling a story about me asking him years back  "Is there something big happening with football or something?" He looked at me and said  "Are you serious? The Seahawks are in the Superbowl!" I said "Is that a big deal or something?" He looked at me like I was crazy.
So it was a surprise to me (and to Jaime) when I started watching the Tour de France this year. After an hour of questioning him about all the rules, I started to like it! I even requested on my own that we watch it. He looked at me, like - have we met before?
So as luck would have it, one of the legs finished right near us - in Bellegarde France this week! My friend Tot, Lucia and I decided to go and see it. As a side note, Tot's name is really Todd, but Lucia calls him Tot and I think it is funny because he is 6"6 or 6"7 - super tall.
So Jaime scoped out a town that was very close to the finish, Billiat, France. Billiat is about 20-30 minutes from here. We decided to go there instead of the finish, as we thought there would be less people and would have a better view. What a lovely town. It was the perfect spot! Tot and I packed a french picnic (bread, cheese, wine, salami, winnie the pooh cups) and got set up by the side of the road to watch all of the events!




Tot rocking the Expedia bike shirt




At one point Tot looked at me and said "Did you ever think you would be living in Switzerland, sitting in the french countryside sipping wine and watching the Tour de France?" I said "Um, no."
There was a big parade that happens before the bicycles come through - all of the sponsors from the race drive through at like 50mph and throw out free things. Lucia loved it! She got a giant hand.


Tot and I got bicycle hats


Then after much waiting, the cyclists came through! And by the way - I knew this was a big event, but for hours before the bicycles came thorough and in-between the parade, there were tons of cars that came through on the route. Trucks with bikes on them, GPS cars, camera crews, race crews, police, etc. You could see the amount of planning this event takes. It was crazy!  So we  finally saw helicopters overhead and knew that the bicyclists were coming soon. The first pack came through so fast that I didn't even have a chance to lift my camera up! It was crazy! Luckily Tot got some good shots. 




We had so much fun and were so glad that we got the opportunity so see such a big event in such a beautiful part of the world. As we were walking back to the car Lucia said "That was a really fun bicycle party mama."

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic experience!! So happy you were able to do that....and surprise Jaime with your "sports" knowledge! Sounds like you are having a wonderful summer! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having so much fun reading the posts! I keep giggling out loud which is probably keeping the kids awake this late at night, but who cares! Thanks for your posts and your pictures! They make all of us back here in the US feel like we are on your adventures as well.

    Love,
    Karen Coulson

    ReplyDelete