Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A note home from Nana (our first official, or unofficial visitor)

I am here, having arrived safely and having a wonderful time!
I am enjoying the stunning scenery and, of course, the good company of Jaime, Sarah and Lucia (aka Mrs Johnson, Mrs J, Lay, Button, Butty etc) to whom I have read The Napping House countless times....since the moment I walked into the door!

The village is quaint with charming people, cottages and cobbled streets. I am taking pictures and will share later.
Tomorrow we are going to a big Suisse open market and on the weekend headed into the Alps via a beautiful 3 hour train ride and going to THE Matterhorn, which can only be accessed by cable car or gondola....(cannot be accessed by car or easily on foot). Jaime says the village, Zermatt,  is like Leavenworth on steroids!! LOL (google it!)

We will be visiting Jaime's office tomorrow and going to dinner at a place called Edelweiss which is famous for its fondue and Suisse cuisine. 

I picked up Lucia at her school today and saw her at play with friends and her special friend Abduhla. We strolled home and went to a fantastic little cottage bakery with unbelievable baked goods and fresh hearth breads, eclairs, pastries, and tarts. YUMMMM

Last night we went to the restaurant where Jaime first went upon his arrival. It was very small and intimate and because  we could not fully understand the menu,  the proprietor recommended a traditional dish. We asked the origin of the "mystery meat" and were told Biche...and through pantomime tried to discover it's origin..."no not boef"  not pork or chicken but he through motions and such he soon eluded to this animal living in the mountain with horns....we were thinking lamb or goat???? But no, we found (after googling when back home) it was venison!!! Having been raised on venison, I would not have guessed. I was thinking Papa would chuckle over this one!! It was accompanied by roasted chestnuts, red pickled cabbage, spaetzel, salad, fresh baked whole grain french bread and plenty of wine...followed by a pear aperitif all followed by a starlit stroll back through the village to home. Lovely. 

More later,

Nana/Mama/Lin






No comments:

Post a Comment