So as we posted earlier, Lucia has been attending her french preschool. The last few times she has gone, she cries and cries and wants to stay at home and "snuggle mama". She leaves the house crying with Jaime who drops her off on the way to work. I can hear her crying down the block after they leave. This makes us all feel bad, but even though she cries about leaving, she comes home happy and smiling and proudly shows me pictures that she has made, so we keep encouraging her to go.
I was wondering if she was really learning any french though. I hadn't heard a french peep out of her... until yesterday. I was making her lunch after she got home yesterday and she informed me that she had banana yogurt for her picnic at school (I packed yogurt for her snack). I was thinking that was odd that she said picnic since we hardly ever use that word, and then it occurred to me - I think picnic comes from french! Sure enough, it has the same meaning. Later on I heard her singing a complicated song and doing hand motions with it. It was a song I had never heard and I realized - it wasn't jibber-jabber, it was french! I asked her if she could sing it again, but she got shy and/or ignored me. I asked her if she could sing other songs from school and she started singing Old MacDonald. I kind of doubted they sing that since I have been there for song time, and everything is in french. So I asked her if she sang it different at school. She said yes and then proceeded to start singing Old MacDonald in french! Three cheers for french preschool! We are so proud of her.
gosh, i'd love a video of her singing in French, when she's ready of course. she looks like a little Lady Matisse w/ the barrette and paints! too cute
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to hear her singing! Skype? or when I get there....
ReplyDeleteWhat a darling picture of my little sweetie!
So proud of her! And what a cute picture of my girl. :)
ReplyDeletexoxo
Aunt Hannah