In July we took a Baltic cruise. I have always wanted to visit the Nordics, and finally had the chance. Here is snippet of an actual conversation with Sarah:
Me: "We should go on a Baltic cruise"
Sarah: "Is it warm?"
"Not especially"
"Where will the ship go?"
"Finland, Stockholm, Estonia, Russia."
"Who wants to go to Russia for vacation?"
"Me?"
"Oh, okay."
So, the expectations were high and I'd like to say we met them, and more.
Lesson # 1: Don't book a cruise on a Russian cruise line unless you are up for 5 days of crazy, late night, vodka-swilling Russians on a small ship. I mean, these people can throw the vodka down, at any hour of the day or night! It was not uncommon to see a table of five people next to us at dinner with two or three bottles of vodka pouring, pouring, pouring. We ordered "The Russian" appetizer before dinner the first night, not knowing what it would entail, and it consisted of three pickles, two onion slices, a piece of raw pork fat (mmm) and, that's right, two shots of vodka. These are some stout people.
Lesson # 2: If you have young people in your family, I would recommend a cruise with a kids club. We saw the most amazing sights on our trip, but all Lucia could think about was getting back to the kids club. They had slides, a gym with a ball cage; they did arts, crafts, and played and played. By day two the women in the club knew Lucia's name, what she liked to do, and had special Russian treats for her. Sarah and I did not know what to do with our new found freedom! (See lesson #1: vodka)
Lesson #3: The Baltic Sea is all that, and more! We spent a couple days in Helsinki, then moved on to Sweden, to Estonia, then to Russia. It was an amazing trip...Estonia..wow! One of the most amazing countries we have visited in our time here.
Finland: a cool, hip, trendy place with ultra-modern stores, architecture, and people. Our hotel was in the center of town so we got the chance to see the boardwalk, with its cool markets, fish mongers and teenagers smoking and lying careless in the lawns.
Then on to Sweden: equally modern and hip, with trendy cafes, book stores and wine bars. We got a chance to visit a Swedish cultural center and an old-school amusement park.
Angry Viking!
Weird dude on stilts
Snake slide..
Next, Estonia. It felt like we got off the boat and travelled back 150 years. What an amazing, culturally-laden place. The buildings where from hundreds of years ago; there were sausage and cheese mongers in the streets; there were tanners selling animal furs; the pubs brewed beers in a tank out back. It was stunning, really.
Angry Cat!
Then finally, Russia. We did some thorough training on the boat to prepare for Russia (one part vodka, two parts something pickled), but quite frankly, Russia kicked our butts. We didn't have the right money, the right time, the right tour, the right language, the right plan, the right anything, for that matter. But, we made it work. I like to say that traveling is 30% logistics and 70% patience and being able to go with the flow. So we did flow...a boat tour through the city, some relaxation in a park, and met some great people on the way.
So, as I mentioned before Russia was a tough gig for us. We were getting to late in the day, we were all hungry, frustrated, and done with Russia. We could not find a place to eat (Sarah = crabby when she gets hungry), so we wandered the St. Petersburg streets until we found this little traditional diner. The food looked, well, suspect, to say the least. Sarah and I were about to leave when a mob of Russian women came out of the kitchen and surrounded Lucia! I mean, they were patting her face, kissing her cheeks, braiding her hair and hugging her. Of course we stayed for lunch, but Lucia was too busy in the kitchen with the ladies to eat. Here is her getting her hair braided through the dish chute.
Overall, we had a wonderful time. I am sure we just scratched the surface of what the Baltic can offer, but it was so great. We are eager to explore it again...two thumbs way up for all four cities we visited. They all offered beauty, challenges and cultures that we soaked in.
I continue to be amazed by seeing the world through Lucia's eyes. I think we are going on 15 or so countries she has been to, some easier to navigate than others, some more safe, some that speak some English, some that don't. What I love is seeing this 5 year old girl making friends with kids and adults alike, not turning around and pointing when she sees a woman in a berka, a man with a cleric robe on, a beggar on the streets. If we could all open our minds and hearts like she does, we would be all the better.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and
narrow-mindedness," said Mark Twain. I believe there is something to
that and hope we can make a small dent somehow.
Be well..until then,
Le Trois Très
Be well..until then,
Le Trois Très
No comments:
Post a Comment