Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summertime!

Oh, it is good that summer is here!  In a wild note, we have been here in Switzerland a YEAR already, as of June 28.  Insane.  I don't know if it is going as fast for you all, but time is flying for us here!

So, some recent updates:

I went to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for a couple weeks for work and while I am not eager to go back to that hot, muggy, swamp of a crowded city, I would love to explore the other cities of Malaysia, as Penang was amazing and I hear Singapore is equally as wonderful.

Here is one of the Petronas Towers, the two tallest dual towers in the world.  They used to be the tallest buildings in the world until Taiwan erected a similar tower with an 150 foot antenna to make their tower higher, which seems like cheating to me.  But this is one of the towers out my hotel window..pretty huge.


Like I said, Kuala Lumpur I could take or leave.  I love the people and the food..but the city was plain insane.  A report I read when I was there said that an average of 18 people die EVERY DAY on motorcycles in the city.  And, don't get me started about the new, very popular, OWC:  Obedient Wives Club that started when I was there and is gaining a huge support there.  Basically, their charter is this:  because women are not doing their jobs in the bedroom it leads to things like drug abuse, prostitution, "massage" parlors and other types of crime.  Women need to be, and I quote, like "First Class Prostitutes."    And the general public seemed to be on board with this.

Needless to say, Sarah is not inclined to join straight away.  It was a different world, I tell you.


But!  Penang!  Penang Curry? Penang Noodles?  Penang anything?  Yup, that started here, at the island I visited over the weekend between work.  I loved it.   Three big draws:

* The best street food city in Asia
* Voted as one of the best beaches in the world for the past 15 years
* Has the biggest night market in SE Asia

Here is the night market stretching along the coast from my hotel room:



The hawkers on the move:  you can buy ANY knock off thing there:  Louis Vitton bags, Gucci glasses, Mont Blanc pens,  bootlegged DVDs.   You name it, it is yours.




Did I mention the food?  Some of the most amazing food I have had in my life...and cheap!  Here is dinner on Saturday:  miso soup, rice, chicken, and a beer.  Price tag?  $1.75.  Woah.   Almost as affordable as Suisse!  :)





And here is one of the crazy, impromptu food markets that litter the town.  The locals come down in droves to get takeway food.  And at a couple bucks a meal, I can see why.  If you get there, try the Amam Laksa...the people at work told me about it before I left and Penang is the place to have it..you won't forget it, I promise...for days and days.  



And now that I am back home, summer is in full swing here!  It has been great to be back.  I don't want to spoil an upcoming blog, but our friends Jeff and Becky just came to visit and we had a blast!  Look for a guest blog soon.  In the meantime, here are some of our recent sun and water photos: 










Home to Seattle soon!  Book early...July 8-24th...we can't wait to see you all.   Let us know if you are around and can catch up.  

Until then,

Les enfants soleil et de plaisir
(The sun and fun kids)



No comments:

Post a Comment