Get ready folks, it's a two post week.
When I started working at Expedia I met a woman named Jule, who has become a great friend. When I told her Lucia's name for the first time, she exclaimed "Luciadagen!" I had no idea what she was talking about. Before working at Expedia she had lived in Sweden for a few years and is married to a Swede, Jonas.
Apparently in Sweden and other Scandinavian countries Luciadagen is a big holiday and kicks off their holiday season. It is a day to honor Santa Lucia!
The story of Santa Lucia, or Saint Lucy as she is also known, is not a pretty one, so I'll sum up. Lucy refused to marry a pagan so she was tortured, killed and for the ultimate shame, her eyes were cut out before she was killed. Got to love the Romans.
Boom! Instant martyr. The story goes that she was still able to see without her eyes and became the patron saint for the blind. In fact Lucia, in Latin, means "light."
Over the years the myth of Santa Lucia grew. She wore white robes and a crown of light. She brought food and clothing to the poor. She helped people find their way out of caves with her light. She cured her mother's illness with a prayer. And the myth continues to grow.
For those of you literary folks, she is mentioned in the second canto of Dante's Divine Comedy.
Her story was brought to Scandinavia and they embraced it and continue to give thanks to her every year on December 13th (on the old calendars December 13th was the shortest day of the year and thus, people needed more light).
So now, thanks to Jule we now have yet another day to celebrate our little princess of light We aren't dressing her up in robes and candles this year...but I wouldn't count it out in the future. In fact, we are tempted to head to Sweden next December to celebrate the day in the traditional style. Stay tuned on that one.
In the meantime, Happy Luciadagen all! Find peace and beauty today.
Jaime
"Lucia Buns," a staple for Luciadagen celebrations
Traditional dress for Luciadagen (girls should go easy on the hairspray on these days, I imagine):


That's very cool... tel miss Lucia we miss her.
ReplyDelete